Saturday, February 25, 2012

The importance of double checking


The identifying numbers like the NPI number and tax ID number are very important pieces of information in medical billing. If a medical claim is submitted with the wrong NPI number it will not be paid. The NPI and tax id are part of the the provider demographic information along with his/her name, address, phone. This information must be accurate to avoid claim denials. 


When you are performing credentialing initially, you must check, double check, even triple check all of this information on the applications and with the insurance company as they process the applications. As well, always triple check how you enter this information in to your practice management system (medical billing program). 


When you begin a new job with a practice, checking to be sure that the information is valid is a great idea!! A phone call to the insurance company to confirm that your information and theirs match will save a ton of time in the end. 


If you discover that any demographic information (including the tax id, NPI, or provider numbers) is wrong, correct it. First determine who has the wrong information. Is the insurance wrong or are you? Double and triple check before changing anything! If the insurance is wrong, ask the representative how you can make the correction. Usually the representative will refer you to the credentialing department. 


There are different corrective actions depending on the problem. For example, if the insurance has the wrong tax id associated with the provider number, often a short form or letter will fix the information.  If the problem is an invalid practice location a longer form may be needed. Any time that you are dealing with the credentialing department, you must follow up regularly to see what the status of the change is, again it is wise to keep a detailed log of your telephone calls and actions. 


If you discover that the error is on the practice side, correct it. Modify the invalid provider record in the practice management system. The most important step to this is to be sure to RESUBMIT ALL OUTSTANDING CLAIMS after you have made the corrections. You can guess that these claims weren’t paid because they had an invalid provider number or other provider information. 


There are a couple of things to think about if you suspect a provider number problem. They are listed to follow:


1) Are the individual and the group provider number in the right place in the practice management system? Could they possibly by switched?
2) Could a letter O really be a number 0?
3) Is the provider number linked to the correct tax id?
4) Are the provider numbers listed in your practice management system connected to the right doctor within your practice?

3 comments:

  1. Any suggestions for correcting credentialing mistakes would be GREATLY appreciated!

    What to do now?

    I am joining an existing Counseling Practice which has it's own organizational NPI number.

    I have two NPI's individual NPI and received an organizational NPI. (I think I messed up in applying for an organzational NPI since the practice already has one)

    I have completed several crediatialing apps to join insurance panels. On all the insurance application I used my organizational NPI instead of my individual NPI. On some of the applications I used both my organizational NPI and the existing practice NPI.

    I am not listed or linked in to the new existing practice organizational NPI.

    Question
    1. Do I need to deactivate my organizational NPI and start using My individual NPI?
    OR
    Is it possible for me to use the organizational NPI that I personally applied for and the existing practice organizational NPI-unfortunately this is what I used on all the credentialing applications.

    2. Is there anything that I need to do to be linked in with the practice organizational NPI or is there anything that the Owner needs to do to link me in to the group?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any Recommendations for correcting credentialing mistakes involving use of incorrect NPI numbers?

    I applied and received two NPI numbers, one individual NPI and later an organizational NPI (I think this was a huge mistake)

    I am a new provider joining an existing counseling practie (LLC) which already has their own organzational NPI. On all of my creditially documents I listed the organizational NPI that I applied for as well as the existing organizational NPI for the practice.

    Questions:
    1.Do I need to contact all the insurance panels and provide them with my individual NPI and deactivate the organization NPI that I inadvertently applied for?

    2.How do I or the head of our LLC link me in with their organizational NPI?

    This is a pretty big mess. I would appreciate any direction that you may be able to provide.

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you should contact the insurances to see how they want you to handle correcting this problem. In general, for credentialing you need to apply as an individual first using the individual NPI number. Either after that is complete or simultaneously to submitting the individual application, your individual credentialing information can be linked to the group(s). Since you submitted applications as an individual using the group's NPI, the insurance may reject the application when they see it. This will prevent billing problems for the group, but it will delay your credentialing. If you call the insurances ASAP, some may work with you and allow a revised application with little or no major delay.

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...