Thursday, May 7, 2015

Trip to Italy - Rome

I cannot even begin to describe how much I loved Rome. Rome almost seemed like a dream. The ancient buildings, stone streets, the archaeological wonders at every turn - it was heaven. We stayed in an apartment on Via Del Governo Vecchio in the historic center of Rome, just around the corner from Piazza Navona. The street was lined with little mom-and-pop shops, street cafes, and outdoor wine bars. Pretty little Christmas tree-like lights, table candles, and big outdoor space heaters illuminated the cobblestone street and old buildings at night. The buzz of conversation and laughter was warm and friendly. It was charming in every way. I never wanted to leave.

But, leave we did as there were tons of sights to see in Rome. On our first full day we went on a tour of the Colosseum, Forum, Trevi Fountain, and Pantheon and them spent the following day at the Vatican. Though very different both were amazing. The Colosseum was interesting, but the Forum was awe inspiring. I walked the same path as Julius Caesar and saw what is believed to be the spot where he was killed (et tu, Brute?). I was thrilled by every temple. It was truly awesome. 

The Vatican is stunning. We toured the Vatican Museum, the Sistine Chapel, and St. Peter's Basilica. While all of them had amazing sites and exquisite art - St. Peter's Basilica was by far the best - such opulence and artistic beauty. If I tried to describe the Vatican, you would think I was exaggerating. 

On our last day in Rome, we just walked around taking it all in and dying a little inside that it was the last day. During that walk we climbed the Spanish Steps and popped over by the American Embassy just because I wanted to see American territory in the heart of Rome. And, on the last nigh in Rome we had one last dinner at a street cafe by our apartment. With one too many glasses of wine in me, we walked over for a last look at Piazza Navona with all the street vendors selling art, playing live music, and performing all sorts of wonders. Knowing that I had to leave that wonderful city the next day, this strange watery substance leaked out of my eye. No, I certainly wasn't a blithering baby but having to leave Rome actually caused physical pain. 

Don't let the short length of this post deceive you - Rome was amazing. If anything, I was left speechless by Rome. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...